Hair is the accessory you never take off, and the fringe is the all-important frame for your face. There’s a fringe to suit every face shape, and the micro fringe is set to emerge as the all-important style for SS19.
Micro fringes have been seen on celebrities such as Gigi Hadid, Rita Ora, and Emma Watson. Now the style has filtered onto the high street with clients asking for the addition in salons up and down the country.
The style has been floating around pop culture for decades. Worn by some of the coolest women both on and off screen—sported by No Doubt, frontwoman Gwen Stefani in the 90s alongside bright bubble-gum colours.
Sharon Malcolm, owner of Sharon Malcolm Hairdressing Salon in Newtownards, Northern Ireland, believes micro fringes are the perfect style for those who are open-minded and like something a little bit different, a bit edgy—but want to remain beautiful.
“Micro fringes are choppy and textured but beautifully undone. They may be unstructured but still have a touch of luxury. A micro fringe is a great way to make a statement and has to be worn with plenty of confidence.”
Here’s Sharon’s tips for wearing a micro fringe this season:
1. A micro fringe is the perfect accessory for those who want to be on trend this season. Best suited to an oval face and best avoided for round faces—opt for a softer texture for this face shape.
2. If you don’t want commitment; chop into an extension and clip it in. A contrast in colour further adds to the interest—think 90s Gwen Stefani.
3. Offering free fringe trims to your clients is a great way to encourage them to visit the salon more regularly.
4. For longer lengths, marry the micro fringe with soft mermaid waves and a matte finish.
5. A styling powder will add texture to the micro fringe, while a slick of oil will keep it under control.